Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Trip to Washington

The Dogwood was in bloom
Just returned from a quick trip to the Portland area.  My mom lives in Vancouver, Washington, which is just across the Columbia River on the Washington side.  Spent 4 days up there,and just got home this afternoon.  I have to say that I couldn't have asked for more perfect weather.  It was sunny and very warm the entire time, not something you can count on in the Pacific Northwest this time of year. 

Although it was a quick trip, we did get to do quite a bit.  Mom decided she would like to go up river to the town I grew up in, which is White Salmon.  So on Saturday we took a nice drive up the Columbia River gorge - which was the subject of my last posting.  We drove around the town and even past our old home, which has changed alot from when we lived there.  We went out to the cemetery and cleaned up my dad and my sister's gravestones and left flowers.  We had lunch and then headed back down the gorge. It was a beautiful day for a drive.
Columbia River Gorge

On Sunday, which was Mother's Day, my sister and I took my mom out to our cabin, and we had lunch on the deck.  It was almost warm enough for a swim - but not quite.  We had a pleasant day out there and even did a little wading in the river.

All in all, it was a very pleasant little trip.  We will be back up that way this summer, and hopefully will have as nice weather as we had this trip.  Next week we head to Scotland to visit our friends and we are taking a road trip with them to Ireland.  In the meantime I have postings that will post while I am gone, and I will report on our trip when we get back.  Our 2 dogs are staying home with a housesitter, who I know will take great care of them.  We will miss them, and I know they will miss us.  But travel is something I couldn't live without, so I am sure they will understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment