Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Sunday, December 17, 2017




Christmas Ornaments From Around the World
An Update

I wrote an article for the blog back in 2011 about the ornaments I collect when I travel.  I bought my first foreign ornaments when we were stationed in the Philippines back in 1980.  And since then I have made it a point to collect an ornament for the tree wherever we travel.  I updated the article in 2016.  Since we took several trips this year and I have purchased more ornaments, I  thought I would do just a quick update.  If you would like to read the original article and the update you can click on this link. http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2016/12/christmas-ornaments-from-around-world.html


Here are the ornaments from this years travels.


In March we traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.  In Vietnam I bought this hat ornament, which is also a bell.


While in Cambodia, we were in a car driving up to Kulen Mountain near Angor Wat.  We stopped at a gas station and about 6 children surrounded the car wanting us to buy paper origami birds.  When I saw the red and green one I immediately thought - Christmas Ornament.  The little girl I bought it from was quite happy.

This little green elephant was my ornament from Laos.  While in Luang Probang, Laos, we visited an elephant sanctuary.  We were able to feed, wash and ride the elephants that day.  I knew that when I found an ornament for the tree, it had to be an elephant.







In September we traveled to Italy to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  We started in the north and worked our way south all the way to Sicily.  I bought quite a few ornaments along the way.  Here are my Italian ornaments






The ceramic tree on the left is from Varenna, on Lake Como.

The glass ball with the hearts on the right is from Murano, Italy.  Murano is famous for its glass blowing.



The ceramic ball below is from Ravello, on the Amalfi Coast.  We stayed in Sorrento and took a drive down the coast returning by boat.




The mouse-above on the left-is from the island of Capri.  It is also a bell.  The 3 legged woman is the symbol of Sicily.  We bought her in Taormina, Italy.  Her 3 legs represent the 3 islands that make up Sicily.

Our travels in 2018 will bring us more ornaments for our tree.  Merry Christmas, and Happy Travels to everyone in 2018!


No comments:

Post a Comment