Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Friday, January 6, 2012

Why do we travel?

Lake Bled, Slovenia
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” Mark Jenkins

I have to admit that I don't understand people who have no desire to go to new places. People who are content to sit at home in their own little corner of the world. Don't they have a curiosity about other cultures and people? And all the beautiful and colorful places in the world? I have heard people say that they see no reason to leave the United States because there is so much to see here. It's true that there is a lot to see here, and I have explored the states and will continue to, but why limit yourself. The world is a fascinating place, made up of fascinating people and things to do and see.

A family in Beijing
I travel because I am curious. I have a desire to see new things, experience new tastes, and meet new people. But I also travel for the chance to broaden my mind. We learn more about ourselves, when we learn more about the world and its people.

I also think that the more of the world you see, the more you understand the differences in people, and you become more accepting. There is so much bigotry in the world, but traveling helps to open your mind to people who are different, and to ideas that are different. You realize that really we are still very much alike.

So why do you travel?  I would love to have comments from anyone who is reading this.  Tell me what you love about travel, or what you hate.  Some people go to the same place year after year, they have found a place they like, and they go back, but why not try something new?  I'd like to know why.

1 comment:

  1. Traveling satisfies my curiosity, too, and broadens my knowledge of this world and educates me visually. But I think that I learn a lot about myself and grow each time I go some place new. It's a good excersise in overcoming self imposed limitations and becoming a better human being. I would go back to certain places where I had a special affinity for. I do not like long flights, but have to accept that along with long lines sometimes. I love the quotes you post with your friendly dialog and interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete