Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Thursday, April 25, 2013

Our Weekend Getaway - A Rock Concert in Los Angeles

"Destination Anywhere
Name the place and I'll be there
Pack a bag and we're out of here - let's run
Destination Anywhere
Left of right, I don't care"
Bon Jovi Song - Destination Anywhere
Poster outside the Staples Center
John Francis Bongiovi, Jr. (born March 2, 1962), known as Jon Bon Jovi, is an American musician, singer, songwriter, record producer and actor, best known as the founder and lead singer of rock band Bon Jovi, which was formed in 1983.  He is married and has 4 children.
 
Picture I took during the concert
Last week my husband and I drove up to Los Angeles to attend a Bon Jovi Concert.  I decided that I would write about our weekend getaway here on my travel blog, because it is a travel experience that we had, even though a short one.  Also, when you are traveling to another city, a concert is something you might consider looking for, as something different to do for an evening out.   You can find concerts to attend in most large cities throughout the world, not only rock concerts, but all different types of music.

Picture taken during eh concert
Jon Bon Jovi has been one of my favorite singers for many years.  I have wanted to attend one of his concerts.  This concert was part of my Christmas present from my husband, and I have been looking forward to it since then.  We live over 3 hours away from where it would be playing, so we had to make hotel reservations, and also make arrangements for our two dogs to be taken care of overnight.  We seldom do overnight trips because of the dogs. When we make longer trips we have someone come stay with them while we are gone, but for just one night we decided to have a neighbor boy come over and feed them, and that did work out for us. 

We drove up the morning of the concert.  After finding our hotel and checking in we went and had lunch, then relaxed at our hotel for a couple of hours.  A few hours before showtime we walked the 8 blocks down to the area where the concert would be.  The Staples Center is in downtown LA, and the area around it has many restaurants.  We had a light dinner at Trader Vic's.  Then we wandered around the area around the center, waiting for it to open.  There was lots of excitement from the fans waiting to go inside. It was a sold-out event.

Outside the Staples Center
The Staples Center seats 20,000 people for concerts, and it took awhile to get everyone in and seated.  When the concert finally started you could feel the excitement in the air.  And when the band and Bon Jovi came in and started their first song, the crowd was on its feet.  For 3 hours Bon Jovi sang without an intermission.  It went by way too fast.  He puts on a really good show and he had the audience singing with him on most of his songs.  The crowd really went wild when he played "Living on a Prayer" which is a crowd favorite. 

All in all it was a really fun evening.  I was a little hoarse at the end, from singing along and cheering.  We walked back to our hotel after the show, and I even bought a t-shirt from a street vendor.  It was not one of the official shirts - they were selling for $55 at the show, but the street vendors had made up some good replicas and I bought one for $10, which I was happy with.  Have to give them credit for being enterprising. 

Saturday morning we headed south, but didn't go straight home.  I have cousins I hadn't seen in quite awhile, so stopped for a visit, had a nice lunch with them at at little restaurant down by the water in Dana Point, strolled along the harbor area and watched families play in the ocean.  Had a pleasant day before heading home to our schnauzers.

Another picture I took during the concert

No comments:

Post a Comment