Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Travel Photos and What To Do With Them


"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed."
-Ansel Adams


My African Book on my Coffee Table
I have a display of some African Souvenirs in the table

We recently took a trip to Africa.  While there I was talking to a fellow traveler about the photos that we were taking.  She told me that when she got home that she would go online and have her favorite photos from the trip put into a book, which when printed, would look like a coffee table photo book.  I thought that sounded like an excellent idea.

For the past few years I have just stored my pictures on my computer.  I always made a backup DVD of the pictures to have just in case, but I don't print them up and put them into scrapbooks like I used to do when I used actual film.  Remember those days, when you had maybe 6 rolls of film with you, so you only took pictures of really important things, and you only took one picture of it, because film and developing was expensive?  And then when you got home and spent a fortune developing your pictures you would always be disappointed because some of the shots just weren't any good.  We are really spoiled today with digital cameras.  Not only can we see immediately how they are going to turn out, we can take a dozen shots of one subject, just to make sure we get it from the best angle.

My African Picture Book
I do tend to overdo it sometimes.  On the African trip I shot over 2000 pictures.  Mostly of the animals when we were on safari.  So when I came home and went through all the pictures, it took me awhile to sort out and pick my favorites.  But I did manage to narrow it down to a few hundred pictures.  I decided to take the suggestion of putting them in a book.  I went online to the company she had recommend - My Publisher.  I found that it was really easy to navigate their website and set up the book.  I took the pictures that I had selected and pulled them into the program, and from there I went page to page, decided how many pictures I wanted on each page and pulling them in.  Once I had all the pictures in, I went back and wrote some narratives to go with the pictures.  It was really quite easy, and fun to do.  At the end you simply purchase the book and pay for it with your credit card.  Less than 10 days later I had my book.  And I love it.

So now that I had completed one book, I decided to go back and do some past trips.  I took a trip to China in 2010, and decided that those pictures should also go into a book.  That book also turned out great, and I am now thinking about doing a couple more. 
My China Book

The books are not cheap, but actually they are probably less expensive than the film we used to always develop at the end of our trips, and these are already put into a book and published, so I do feel it was a good deal.  And now I realize that they also have sales, if you watch for them, where you can get the books for less, if you wait until the sale is in progress.  My China book actually cost quite a bit less than the African book, because I saw a sale that had 60% off the price of the book.

I am also intrigued with the idea of putting together a calendar with my pictures on it.  The same company prints calendars.  It might be fun next year to be looking at my own travel pictures each month on my own calendar.  Or maybe a calendar of my dog pictures?

There are many companies besides My Publisher who do the same type of books and calendars.  I have not tried any of the other companies, but did a search online and came up with quite a few.  They seem to all be similar, and I'm sure they would all be quite good.  So If you are thinking about putting your photos into a book, but don't want to actually do a scrapbook, then consider doing it online.  You will have a professional looking finished project that you can enjoy for years, and display on your coffee table.

Here are the companies I found when researching this, including the company I used:   http://www.mypublisher.com  
http://www.shutterfly.com        http://www.cvsphoto.com
http://www.mixbook.com          http://www1.snapfish.com
http://picaboo.com                     http://www.blurb.com  


The nice thing about putting together the book is that you can choose your theme - I chose travel as my theme and all the pages had a travel look to them.  Some pages had stamps that looked like passport stamps, some had a background of a map, and some had the backs of postcards where you could write about what was on the page.  You could choose to have lots of pictures on one page or do two or three pictures to the page, or just do a full page picture.  You chose the format for each page as you go.  Here are a few pictures of the inside of my book:










No comments:

Post a Comment