Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Friday, June 13, 2014

The Anne Frank House - Amsterdam



I haven't written on this blog since November.  Since then I have been busy with local activities and I had full knee replacement surgery, which kept me busy with Physical Therapy.  I needed that if I was going to continue to travel.  It is important to be able to get around.  We recently took a 3 week trip that took us to Portugal, Belgium and the Netherlands.  We returned just a few days ago. 

I probably will not write very often, but when I feel there is something worth sharing, I will add a post.  The following is something I would like to share with anyone who is interested.  It is about the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.  Also, I will be posting our the report on our most recent trip.  We again sent emails home, and they are now in the form of a Trip Report and will be listed under those.


 
“It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
Statue of Anne, around the
 corner from her house
 
When we were in Amsterdam recently, we visited the Anne Frank House.  It was well worth the visit, a very moving experience.  The one thing I would like to share though, is if you are going to Amsterdam, and want to go to the house, be sure you buy your tickets in advance online.  It is very easy to do.  The online process gives you a choice to days and times available, and you choose what works for you.  When you arrive at the house on that date and time, you simply ring the doorbell and they let you in to start the tour.  If you do not have reservations, then you stand in line.  We were there in early June, which is not the busiest time of the year, and still, the line was around the block. We talked to some people in line and they had already been standing in line for over 90 minutes, and they were not close to going in.  The house will only hold so many people, and the ones with reservations will take up a lot of that.  Those in line have to wait for openings, and some will not get in.  So, make sure you get the reservations before you go.  I was glad we did.
The Anne Frank House
The line to get into the house

2 comments:

  1. I hope your physical therapy went well, and that your knee is feeling better. I just started physical therapy for a broken ankle this month. I can't walk on it yet, but hopefully by the time I can it will be easier.

    I always enjoy reading your travel posts, and I look forward to reading more about your adventures! Your post on your list of places to see made me write my own list. I haven't been able to travel internationally much yet (just Canada and some Caribbean islands), but I have been around the US a little. The internet is great for vicarious traveling until I'm able to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicholette, glad to know someone is still checking in on my blog. My knee is doing pretty good. I was proud of how well I was able to get around. I was worried before I went. I only had 9 weeks from surgery to departure, but I worked hard during that time. I was motivated.

      I think everyone should have a list, and even though you might not be able to travel much now, you can dream. I didn't do a lot of traveling when I was younger, except being moved around because my husband was in the navy. Couldn't afford to then, but now that we are older and retired we are lucky to be able to. So keep dreaming, because if it's something you really want, then you will get there someday.


      Delete