Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Our anniversary trip to Italy

"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep permanent, in the the ides of living." 
 Miriam Beard

Besides travel information, I thought I would occassionally throw in a story from my travels.  This story is about the best Christmas present I ever received and goes back to the start of my travel days.

When my husband first proposed to me, I actually turned him down. I loved him, but felt I was too young to get married, and besides, there were so many places in the world I wanted to go, and if I got married I wouldn't be able to just go.  However, he was persistent, and he finally wore me down. I said yes, and he said “I promise to take you to Italy someday.” That was the number one thing on my list of places to go. The years went by, we had a daughter. He was in the Navy, so I was seeing some new places, in the states and then for 2 years in the Philippines. There wasn't enough money for trips to Italy.  In 1989, I was able to take a trip to London, our daughter was going to school there. George stayed home, we didn't really have enough money for 2 of us to go. Kim and I spent 3 weeks exploring England, Scotland and even got over to Paris for a few days. It was fun, but Italy was still the number one place on my list.
 
The Forum in Rome, Italy
So on Christmas 1991, I was surprised when my gift from George was a new set of luggage, and inside the luggage was an anniversary card and brochures of Italy. He told me he had been secretly saving money, so that on our 25th anniversary we would be in Italy. I had 9 months to plan the trip I wanted.  George's only request was that we do a tour. He felt that since we didn't know the language and neither of us had been to Italy before, that we should do a tour. Now I'm not really a tour person, I'd rather go it on our own, but I was willing to compromise. I found a tour through Perillo Tours – they specialize in Italy. It was a 10 day tour and it covered Rome, Venice and Florence, with stops in Sienna, Assisi, Perugia and the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Of all the tours I looked at, it had the most free time. I booked that one, and then talked George into adding a week on our own at the end of the tour, by then we'd be seasoned travelers of Italy.
 
Venice, Italy
Our 25th anniversary was September 17th, 1992. We were in Italy for our anniversary. We started our trip in Rome, then to Venice (which is where we were on the 17th), made the stops in Sienna, Assisi, Perugia (for some chocolates), spent a few nights in Florence, saw the leaning tower of Pisa, and then ended back in Rome. It was actually a good group of people, and we loved our guide Nilo. When the group departed, we got on a train south to the city of Sorrento, which is just across the bay from Naples. I had researched and found a cute little family owned hotel perched on the cliff overlooking the bay of Naples. From our balcony we had a fantastic view. The town of Sorrento was delightful and famous for its lemons and an alcoholic version of lemonade – lemoncello. We visited the isle of Capri while there, and went over and spent and afternoon at the ruins of Pompeii. We swam in the sea, and we wandered around the town. It was a delightful week.

Taken from our hotel in Sorrento, Italy
We spent 2 more days back in Rome on our own before flying home. George got more comfortable with going on our own, but we had the best of both, the tour was good, and the week on our own was also.

George kept his promise when he said that “someday he'd take me to Italy.” And since then we have made it a point to travel somewhere on our major (every 5 year) anniversary. This year will be 45 years and we plan to take a cruise from Boston to Montreal – down the St. Lawrence River. And I have never regretted saying yes all those years ago. For anyone out there that wants to surprise their spouse with a great present, I can tell you that this was the best one I ever had.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you talked about the details of the trip...some things that I didn't know. I might try to find that family owned hotel, or one like it, myself one day...

    ReplyDelete