Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sweets - Around the World



"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."  
 Charles Schulz

I admit it, I'm a chocoholic. I don't even try to hide it. So wherever I go I tend to pop into chocolate places and buy a few to sample. Usually more then a few. I haven't been to Belgium yet, and I know they are most famous for their chocolate. But I have been to Switzerland, and so far they top my list of having the best chocolates in the world. And Oprah agrees with me. She had these chocolates on her My Favorite Things show. The chocolates are – Teuscher champagne truffles. (http://www.teuscher.com/)//


Teuschers New York at Christmas
I have to admit that the first time I tried these I was not traveling. I had a client who had gone to New York and had gone into the Teuscher store there and had purchased a box of nine truffles for me as a thank you gift. He was a regular client who I had helped many times, a very nice man. The funny thing is, I had watched Oprah's show the week before and had actually gone to Teuscher's website and looked them up. They were a bit expensive, so I did not order them, but thought that if I ever got to Switzerland where they are actually made, I would definitely go to their shop and buy some there. Then my client brought me the box. They were to die for. I savored every single one of those truffles, one a night for 9 nights. A few years later I found myself in Zurich, Switzerland. We were walking down Storchengasse Street, and there was the Teuscher store. I went in and bought quite a bit of chocolate. They even gave samples. There are stores in major cities throughout the U.S., and they sell their chocolates online. 

My friend having a Frozen Hot Chocolate

If you are into chocolate, then a stop at Serendipity's in New York city is worthwhile. They are famous for their drink – frozen hot chocolate. It is quite tasty. They have quite a few other desserts that looked quite good also. But it's not just a dessert place, their meals are quite good also.  I had their lemon chicken with asparagus for dinner, and loved it.  But leave room for dessert.   http://www.serendipity3.com/)

Chocolate is not my only weakness. I love to sample pastries, and while in Paris I have to say that we had the best croissants. And they were memorable for more then one reason. My daughter and I were in Paris for the first time, back in 1989. We had breakfast at our hotel. We were on a limited budget, and I knew we would be sampling food later, so I suggested that we just have a cup of hot chocolate, and head out. We ordered, and then the waiter placed a basket of croissants on our table and walked away. I thought, how nice. So we enjoyed the croissants with our hot chocolate. Then our bill came, and we found out that we were charged per croissant that we had eaten. Our breakfast was over $20 each. That put a limit on the rest of the days spending. But they were melt in the mouth delicious, and probably worth every cent.

Tip: Never assume something is free, just because it is set on the table. In the USA if a basket of bread is put on the table, it is usually free, but in many countries, it is put there as an option, and if you eat any of it, you will be charged per piece.

In Jerez, Spain we spent a wonderful afternoon touring the Gonzalez Bypass where they produce some wonderful sherry. We fell in love with their 1847 Solera, and brought a couple of bottles home with us. Since then we have ordered cases to be shipped to us. I know we have good sherries that we can get here in the states, but sometimes something is so good, and it reminds you of a wonderful experience, so it is worth the extra trouble and expense to relive that experience.

Teuschers Chocolates

So when traveling, I say sample the things from that region, especially the sweets. When in Italy you must eat gelato. Even if you've had gelato elsewhere, nothing beats the gelato in Italy. And Shaved ice in Hawaii is to die for. If you ever find yourself in the town of Kanlica, Turkey make sure you stop at the cart in the main plaza and try their homemade yogurt with the powdered sugar toping, I've never had anything quite that good. Whenever you travel, stop and try the local sweets, the Turkish delight, marzipan, chocolates wherever you are, sherry in Spain, gingerbread in Germany, and even the tofu cookies in Japan. You won't know until you try them, they may become a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment