Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Friday, March 23, 2012

Flying

There is nothing safer than flying – it's crashing that is dangerous.” Theo Cowan


“There are only 2 emotions in a plane, boredom and terror.” Orson Wells


What can I say about flying, you either love it, or you hate it.  No matter what your feelings, it's a necessary part of travel.  Sure, I know people who never fly and still travel.  I used to have a client that went to Europe every year, usually for several months at a time. He and his family drove to the east coast, took a ship over, rented a car there and drove, then took a ship back and drove back home. It worked for them.  But most of us don't have that much time, so we fly.

There is nothing quite like being stuck in coach, elbow to elbow with the person next to you.  Your legs crammed under the seat.  The seat in front of you is lowered so that your tray is pushing against you.  And you are on the plane for 13 to 14 hours. You try to sleep so you will be ready to go when you get to your destination, but it's hard to get comfortable, besides the fact you have a 5 year old behind you kicking the seat.

We've all been there and done that.  I always look forward to going somewhere new, but dread the actual getting there and getting home part.  I'm not a fearful flyer, I've flown a lot.  But the trip is long, and boring and usually cramped.  And then there is the airport security and the lines to get through before you even get on the plane.

A word on security.  Since 9/11 things have gotten stricter. Some of the procedures you may not agree with, but they are there, and there is no way around them, so go with the flow. You can pack almost anything in your checked luggage, knifes, drinks, scissors, shampoo, lotions, etc.  But in your carry-on luggage there are restrictions.  Anything liquid, which includes toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, must be 3 oz. or smaller and must be in a plastic bag that you can take out of your bag and place in the tray separate from the suitcase.  If you have any questions as to what you can or cannot carry-on, go to the TSA website - http://www.tsa.gov/

Whenever I can, I try to upgrade to business or first class on long flights.  However, most the time it is too expensive.  I do have frequent flyer miles and have used them for upgrades, but sometimes those just aren't available, and you use a lot of miles for upgrades and there is still a fee, so I don't always have enough miles to upgrade.  Personally, I would rather use the mileage towards and upgrade then a free ticket.  On a long flight, business or first class is certainly worth it.

passengers on a plane
I always take several books, or lately my nook, with lots of books uploaded in it, to keep me reading for the entire trip.  I also take a neck pillow, a light blanket and some light sleeping pills, which I take on the over the Atlantic part of any trip to Europe.  Since you usually arrive the next day in the morning, you really need some sleep in order to keep going that first day.  If you get to Europe and then sleep during that first day, it will take you longer to get used to their time zone.

I'm also an avid believer in Airborne.  I know there is no scientific evidence that says that it prevents illness, but it is a high dose of vitamin C, and I just feel like it gives me a boost against getting sick.  It certainly won't hurt me, so why not take it.  You are going to be shut into a plane with lots of people which means lots of germs.  I hate getting sick when I am traveling, so an ounce of prevention is a good thing.  I also carry medicines with me in case I do get sick – cold medicines (day & night), the Chinese herb tea I bought in China when I had a cold there, and some antibiotics my doctor prescribed for me to carry in case of illness.  I'd rather be prepared.

No matter how strict they become with security, I will not stop flying, because flying gets me to new destinations, and new adventures.  I will put up with a lot in order to travel.

I found quite a few great quotes on flying, just had to give them all to you:

 
"Now I know why they tell you to put your head between your knees on crash landings. You think you're going to kiss your ass good-bye".
Terry Hanson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport".
George Winters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets. It seems to me that they are wonderful things for other people to go on." Jean Kerr
*pictures taken from the internet

No comments:

Post a Comment