Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Beach Get-Away

“I have always loved the beach. The smell of the salty water, the wind in my face, the gentle roar of the waves all combine to create a sense of peace and calm.”
Anonymous
 
“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
Jacques Cousteau
Sunset at the beach

When I was a little girl I lived in Washington state.  We lived toward the middle of the state on the Columbia River, so water has always been nearby for me.  We had the river, one of the prettiest and bigger rivers in the country.  We also had a cabin on a smaller river about an hour away.  My dad had a boat and we water-skiied, and spent days out on the river, just having fun - or fishing, which was a different kind of fun.  But almost every summer, from my earliest memories, we also would spend a few days at the beach.  It was an all day drive to get there, but there is something about the beach that a river just can't take the place of.

Pinned ImageUsually we would go to one of the Oregon beaches, somewhere near Rockaway or Newport.  There used to be a beach called Agate Beach, which is no longer named that.  I was told that the name was changed because there are no longer agates on the beach.  I have to say that is partly my fault.  When we would go there as kids, my mom, sisters and myself, would walk the beach with a sand bucket and pick up agates and take them home.  I'm still one to pick up any kind of interesting rock, no matter where I am, and bring it home.  My backyard, and jars all over my house, hold rocks that I have picked up from all over the world.  Those are some of my favorite souvenirs.  But not just rocks, when at the beach, I'm also looking for interesting shells, or sea glass.

Sadie and Baxter at the Beach
Even today, the beach is probably my second favorite place to be.  My cabin in Washington will always be first, but any beach will be a close second.  Living in Southern California, the beach is never far away.  We quite often spend the day at the beach.  To spend the day in the waves with my boogie board is ideal.  Especially when the water has had a chance to warm up a bit.  And there are some nice dog beaches near us, and I also love to spend the day with the dogs on the beach.  I can only wade while with them, because if I tried to swim, they'd try to be with me, and they are not big enough, or strong enough for the waves and tides.  But they don't mind getting in the shallow waves and even having the waves go over them  And they love running up and down the beach with the other dogs.


Pacific Beach in San Diego at sunset
I think any vacation that includes a beach, is a perfect vacation.  If you just want to get away and relax, where else could be more perfect.  You could rent a cottage, or a hotel room with a balcony, and sit and watch the ocean.  You can stroll along the beach, and reflex on life.  You can spend your days wading or swimming in the salt water, or just lying on a chaise lounge under an umbrella, reading your book.  And watching the sun set over the ocean at night will quite often give you some of the best sunsets of your life.


A beach in Northern California
There has been a lot of talk the past few years about "staycations".  Because of the cost of gas, people can't afford to travel as far.  If you are on a limited income, or just can't get away for whatever reason, and you live anywhere near a beach, then consider a weekend in a cottage by the seashore.  Everyone needs a break from the routine, and this would be a fairly inexpensive way to take that break without breaking the bank.  Don't go to one of the big resort area beaches, but to one of the little seaside towns.  They have more of a seaside atmosphere anyway, and are usually less expensive.  And if you go off season, it's even less expensive.  And the beach is a nice place to be even when it is not hot and sunny.  Sometimes it is more interesting when it is stormy.  And walking the beach after a storm could net you some interesting finds, such as glass floats.




The cottage we rented at the beach
 in Washington last summer

 
I know that along the Pacific coast there are quite a few lesser known beaches that have reasonably priced cottages to rent.  We usually spend a week on the Washington coast every summer after we leave our cabin on the river.  Even in the summer months it is possible to get a place for less than $80 a night, as long as we stay away from the more popular beaches.  And during the winter months they are even less expensive.  That doesn't mean it is right on the beach, those that are a block or two away are usually less expensive, but you are still at the beach.  Here in California they are slightly higher, but the weather is usually nice here year around, so that drives the prices up.

So if you need to getaway from it all, but can't afford to fly to some exotic place, and the ocean is anywhere within driving distance for you, consider getting in your car and just spending a few days at the beach.  It could do wonders for you.  Give you a sense of peace.  And if you have a family, what kid doesn't love to build sand castles and wade in the waves?  It is a great getaway, and it won't break the bank.

Sunset at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment