Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Friday, February 15, 2013

My Favorite Places


"Laugh at yourself, but don't ever aim your doubt at yourself.  Be bold.  When you embark for strange places, don't leave any of yourself safely on shore.  Have the nerve to go into unexplored territory." 
Alan Alda

Probably everyone has heard of the book 1000 Places To See Before You Die.  Most of us will only see a few of those places in our lifetime.  There isn't enough time or money to visit them all.  I keep a list of only 10 places I want to see, but as I see them I cross them off and add new ones, because there are certainly more than 10 places in the world I want to see.

Quite often people ask me what is the place you have enjoyed the most.  For me that is always very difficult to answer.  I have enjoyed every place that I have been - really.  Whenever I go someplace new, I enjoy exploring that place and I find things I like about it.  But obviously some places I have liked better than other places.  I do have some favorites, but I can't really say that one place is my very favorite.  I can tell you my top 8 and why.

In no particular order, my top 8 are:
Venice, Italy
Crete, Greece
Moorea, French Polynesia
Paris, France
Great Britain
Beijing, China
Tenerife, Canary Islands
Philippines

Venice
Venice, Italy - The first trip to Europe that my husband and I took together was to Italy.  It was the one place I had always said that I just had to go to.  When we were finally able to go I was so excited.  It was our 25th anniversary trip.  I was almost afraid that it wouldn't live up to my excitement about going, but it did.  Everything about that trip was very special.  I loved Rome, and all the ruins.  The Forum and The Colisseum.  And then we went to Venice, and I really fell in love with that city.  I loved all the peeling paint on the buildings sitting in water.  I loved the boats and all the little alleyways between the buildings, and the bridges over the canals.  We also went down and spent a week in Sorrento, and visited Pompei and Capri, and enjoyed the beautiful town of Sorrento.  It was beautiful.  I loved every minute of that trip.

Crete, Greece - I actually loved all of Greece, and should maybe just put the whole country of Greece on the list.  But if I think about my favorite part of our trip to Greece, then Crete stands out. Maybe because we spent a week on the island and had more time to really explore it.  We did spend several days in Athens, and though it is a big city, I absolutely loved it.  I love the Plaka district, which is the old city, and I loved the Parthenon up on the hill.  And the people in Athens were all so nice.  And we took a tour over to Delphi and Meteora, both of which were wonderful, and not to be missed if you go to Greece.  I also loved the island of Santorini, where we spent 2 nights.  It is really lovely. 


Rethymno Harbor
But our week on Crete was fascinating.  We stayed in a condo near Rethymno, and our friends from Scotland joined us for that week.  I loved wandering around Rethymno's streets, looking in the shops and especially loved having lunch down by their harbor.  We drove all over the island, even went over and hiked the Samaria Gorge.  I did have blisters after doing that!  And we visited Knossos, which is a Bronze Age archaeological site.  We also had probably the best meal I have ever had in my life, at a farm in the hills above Rethymno.  They grow everything they serve on the farm, and we had a 10 course meal, on a hill overlooking the town, at sunset.  Even the feta cheese they served and the olive oil was made on the farm.  We swam in the sea and we explored the island, and it has to rank as one of the best weeks of vacation I have had.

Moorea, French Polynesia - We have a timeshare, and had to use the week we had deposited, or we would lose it.  I started looking online at places that were available.  A week in Moorea came up.  I had always wanted to visit Tahiti, so this seemed ideal.  I decided to go for it.  Since I worked at AAA at the time, I actually had some benefits that I could use towards the trip.  Air Tahiti Nui offers half price air to Tahiti for travel agents and I was able to take advantage of that.  And because I had sold a lot of Pleasant Packages, I had points with them that I could use for free inter-island flights and a free night on the island of Tahiti and 2 nights in an over-water bungalow on Bora Bora.  So we booked it and off we went. 
Cook's Bay, Moorea, French Polynesia

We spent our first night on Tahiti then flew to Moorea where we spent our week in our timeshare.  We had a condo with a balcony overlooking Cook's Bay.  We spent the week swimming, snorkeling and exploring the isalnd.  It was a relaxing fun-filled week on the beach.  The waters are sparkling clear, with lots of beautiful fish.  We took a catamarran trip to a motu - which is a small island, where we had a picnic lunch and did more snorkeling.  I thought Moorea was beautiful.  I had been told by others that while Moorea was beautiful, everyone usually liked Bora Bora the best, so we did 2 nights there at the end of our trip.  But for me Moorea was prettier, and there is more to do there.  I liked Bora Bora, but I loved Moorea.


Paris, France - Paris - the city of lights, the city of love.  Who could not love it.  My daughter and I breifly visited Paris back in 1989.  My husband and I went back in 2003.  I have not seen much else of France, but I do love Paris.  The city is beautiful, and vibrant.  Regardless of what people may tell you, I think the people are mostly charming.  There is so much to see and do.  I think I could live in Paris for a year or two and be quite happy.  As my husband says, "we'll always have Paris." 



Great Britain - England is the first country in Europe that I visited.  My daughter spent one semester of her sophomore year in London, and at the end of her semester I flew over and visited her, and we traveled around England, Scotland and Ireland, and even took a quick excursion over to Paris.  I have very fond memories of that trip.  And because it was my first European country to visit, it holds a special place in my heart.  I have visited Great Britain since that first trip.  I can't really name one place in Great Britain that I love more than others, although certain places stand out more than others.  

Crail Harbor, Scotland
I loved Cambridge, I found it to be charming.  And Penzance was a fun place to visit. And who could not love London, there is so much to see and do there.  I particularly loved Scotland, and we went back to Scotland this year.  We saw some new places, and re-visited a few places I had been.  I love the Highland cows, and all of the castles.  The harbour towns are very picturesque.  And the Scottish people are some of our favorites - we do have good friends there, so that helps.

The Great Wall
Just outside of Beijing, China
Beijing, China - I had been to Hong Kong years ago when we lived in the Philippines, it was a short hop away and a good place to get away for a weekend, but it was under British rule when we were there.  So a few years ago I suggested to a girl friend that a trip to China would be fun.  We went for a 12 day tour.  It was an adventure.  I knew I wanted to walk on the Great Wall, and we did that.  But I found all of China to be wonderful.  It certainly was one of the best trips I have ever taken.  We had a wonderful tour guide in Beijing.  His name was Tony, and we got to know him fairly well in the few days we were with him.  He took great pride in showing us around Beijing, and he was proud of the history of his country, and the sights he showed us.  He acknowledged that his country had problems, and he envied us our freedoms, but he was still quite proud to be Chinese.  I particularly enjoyed getting to know him.  And I loved all of China.  We went to Xian and Shanghai, and a cruise on the Yangtze, and re-visited Hong Kong.  But my favorite place was Beijing, and getting to know Tony, and learning about China through his eyes.  And of course walking on the Great Wall.

Tenerife, Canary Islands
Tenerife, Canary Islands - In 2003 our friends from Scotland invited us to join them in the Canary Islands for 10 days.  There are several islands that make up the Canaries, Tenerife is the largest, and that is the island that we went to.  They had a timeshare which was a 3 bedroom condo, so we had basically a full-size house, with a lovely patio, that we lived in for those 10 days.  We rented a car and we explored the island.  That was the first trip that we took with those friends, we have traveled with them since, but there was something special about our new friendship and the fun we had together on that trip.  I had never even thought about going to the Canary Islands, and I don't know if they ever would have showed up on a list of places to go to, but they invited us, and we went.  I absolutely loved everything about the place.  It is part of Spain, but actually closer to Africa, so it had a different feel about it then when we were in Spain.  We were close to a small village, and stumbled across one of their local celebrations, which we joined in on.  We swam in the ocean and enjoyed the beaches, and we explored the towns.  We had some wonderful meals also.


Banca boat on Capone Islands,
Philippines
Philippines - My husband spent 26 years in the Navy, so we moved around quite a bit.  Most of the times we were in the states, and quite a few of those times my husband was gone, to places where we could not go as a family.  We were only stationed overseas together as a family once.  That was the 2 years we spent in the Philippines - from Dec. 1978 to Dec. 1980.  We lived on a small base about an hour from Subic Bay. The base was called San Miguel.  One of the gates from the base led straight out onto the beach, where we could go and enjoy the warm waters of the South China Sea.  There were small boats - called bancas that we could get into and be taken out to the Capone Islands, where we could snorkel, or we could just stay at the beach and swim from there. 


In the two years we lived in the PI, we explored as much of the country as we could, taking trips to different areas, and seeing the sights.  The people near where we lived were all very nice.  We got to know some of them, and spent time in their villages, and their homes.  We were invited to celebrations as their guest of honor.  It was a wonderful two years, where we learned a lot about the country and the people.  Those 2 years hold wonderful memories for myself and my family.  I am so glad we were given that experience.

But even though these places stand out most in my mind when I think of the places I have traveled, I really have enjoyed every trip I have taken, and I have fond memories of them all.  And I know that with my future travels, some of those places will probably bump some of these places off my favorites list.  We are planning a trip to Africa for this coming year, and who knows, that trip may move onto my favorites list in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment