Travel Quotes

Mark Twain said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” Maya Angelou

_____________________________________________________________________________________
....................."One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching." Unknown..................


I would like to welcome new readers to my travel blog. If you are reading this for the first time, then I suggest you first read my introduction which I wrote last November when I started this. It explains why I am writing this and it gives you a little about my background. And most importantly it explains about my list and how it works. To go to that post, click on the following link - http://havelistwilltravel.blogspot.com/2011/11/have-list-will-travel-introduction.html


Friday, June 7, 2013

Packing Tips for Africa

“Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.”  
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
 
As I write this, we are getting ready to head out on another adventure.  We leave in a week for a 20 day trip to Africa.  So on my bed in the guest bedroom, I am laying out what I plan to take with me.  This has been a different experience I have packed for many trips over the years, but never made a trip like this, with the limitations on what we can bring.  I have been looking online for tips, and reading all the information sent with our documents. 

So what is different about this trip.  First of all, I like color.  I usually dress with bright colors or blacks and whites.  I do wear jeans most days, here at home, and usually pack a couple of pairs.  But none of those things work for this trip.  I have had to purchase quite a few new clothing items, things I may not be as inclined to wear when I get home.  All of our paperwork tells us to wear only tans, khaki, browns, olive green.  They say no bright colors, no black, no white.  Also, what we pack should be natural fabrics that breathe, are easy to wash and fast to dry, and comfortable. 

We are also limited on our luggage. I am a fairly light packer on most trips.  I can go to Europe for 3 weeks with one suitcase and a carry-on.  But on this trip the suitcase has to be soft-sided, no handles and no wheels.  In other words, a dufflebag.  And the total weight (that is of our checked bag & our carry-on) can not be more than 35 pounds.  We are allowed one checked bag each.  The reason is because we will be flying on small planes within Africa, which have limited cargo holds and limit the weight requirements. 

So what am I packing for this trip?  I thought I would give you my packing list, in case anyone else is getting ready to go on a similiar trip, my list may help you pack.  Here is what I am taking:

Clothing:
3 pairs of long pants - All lightweight, 2 khaki, 1 brown
3 pairs of short pants (knee-lenghth) 1 brown, 1 olive and 1 khaki
3 short sleeve T shirts - 1 tan, 1 tan and brown, 1 olive
1 3/4 sleeve striped tan shirt
1 long-sleeve shirt with light blue and tan design
1 blouse with a brown cheetah pattern
1 light-weight safari-style jacket with pockets and rollup sleeves - olive green
1 pair sneakers - brown
1 pair good walking sandals, with straps around the back
3 pairs of socks
buff to go around neck and pull up when it is dusty
underwear that is fast drying so that I can wash and re-wear
hat - bought especially for this trip, with strap and wide brim
lightweight nightgown

But clothing is only the beginning.  There are many other things to bring on a trip.  With limited space, you have to decide what is important.  And there is a whole case for just medical supplies.  Before going we went to a travel doctor and got the required shots, but the doctor also gave us medicine to take with us, including malaria pills that we have to take the whole time we are gone and keep taking when we get back.  He also gave us pills in case we got sick.  And I always carry cold pills and aspirin, and bandaids, etc.  So here is a list of other items we will be taking:

Medical bag - with all the pills the doctor gave us for the trip and other supplies
Bag with all our personal items, - toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.
Bug spray - with DEET - this is a necessary item
Sun protection with UV 50
Camera, camera bag, and mono-pod, charger and cord to transfer pictures to computer, extra batteries and an extra memory card
Converters for electrical plug
Multi-outlet plug with extension cord
binoculars (small in their own case)
flashlight - mini
My Nook Reader - I never leave home without it.  Loaded with lots of books I haven't yet read.
Laptop Computer - my husband is taking that as his carry-on
Clip-on sunglasses, and my old pair of regular glasses, just in case something happens to my glasses, as I am blind without them
money-belt

And of course we will have our passports, medical yellow cards that list our shots, all of our trip paperwork and insurance cards.  And we were told to bring enough cash to cover all the different visas we will have to purchase there as we change countries - total of those is $520 and they want us to pay that in US dollars.  Also, tips for our tour guides, drivers and safari staff is also to be paid in US dollars and we have to take enough to cover that also.  So we will be carrying quite a bit of cash on us, which I am not always comfortable doing.  I usually travel with limited cash, and use my credit cards for most purchases, but not on this trip. 

I hope this helps anyone who is getting ready to take off on a similiar adventure.  We take off next week, but I am not going to post this until we are due back from our adventure, so by the time you read this we will be home, and unpacking.  We will post a report of our adventure soon, with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment